- Damages caused by cybercrime are projected to cost the world US$ 6 trillion annually by 2021.This is a steep increase from US$ 3 trillion in 2016.
- The global cost of ransomware damage is expected to exceed US$ 5 billion in 2017—a 15 per cent increase from the US$ 325 million in 2015. Healthcare is the most frequently targeted industry, with ransomware attacks on the sector estimated to quadruple by 2020.
- Currently, a company is attacked with ransomware every 40 seconds, compared to every 2 minutes in 2016. Since the beginning of 2016, there have been over 4,000 ransomware attacks every day.
- In 2016, a new sample of malware was discovered every 4.6 seconds. According to Panda Labs, 18 million new specimens of malware were captured in the third quarter of 2016 alone. In the first quarter of 2017, new malware emerged every 4.2 seconds, with approximately 22 million new samples discovered.
- According to a recent Clark School study at the University of Maryland, “brute force” hackers attack computers every 39 seconds on an average, using software-aided methods to randomly target multiple devices.
- An average of 35 per cent of security professionals are unaware of the presence of mobile malware on their network, while 37 per cent are unsure about whether a data breach has occurred or not.
- The total cost of data breaches has increased by 29 per cent since 2013, with the average consolidated total cost of a breach currently estimated at US$ 4 million.
- Small businesses account for 43 per centof cyber-attacks. 60 per cent of these businesses become defunct within six months of an attack.
- Cyber-attacks take an average of 46 days to resolve, at an average cost of US$ 21,155 per day, or an overall cost of US$ 973,130 over the 46-day recovery period.
- According to Proofpoint, social media-based phishing attacks rose by 500 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2016. Research by PhishLabs indicates that phishing volume has increased by over 33 per cent across the five most-targeted industries in 2017.
Want to learn how to effectively protect your organisation from the threat of cyber-attacks? Sign up for CyberSense World, Kuwait today (http://cybersense-world.com/).
Sources: CSO Online, HP, Wired, Skycure, ITSP Magazine, Heimdal Security, Small Business Trends, Security Magazine, Barkly, G Data Security Blog, Wombat Security, PhishLabs